Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sneaking and lying

I've been sneaking around and lying for the last couple of weeks now.  I've had good reason though.

A few weeks ago I got it into my head to propose to my girlfriend.  Her birthday was coming up on June 22, so I figured I would pop the question on that day.

First Step: I had to find a ring.  I spent the next couple of days researching rings online during my free time.  I didn't want anything traditional and boring, so I was searching all over for something unique.  I finally found a black diamond ring that I really liked and I just knew she would love.

Second Step: I had to go to the jewelers and order it.  This is where the sneaking around came into play.  I get off work a full 2-hours before she does, so this wasn't to difficult to pull off.  I waited for a day that I had to drop off my girlfriend's son at the tutoring center that he attends, and I simply drove over to the jewelers from there.  I had plenty of time to order the engagement ring, the wedding band, and the ring for myself.  Now the trick was going to be picking them up when they were ready.

Third Step: I wanted to get my girlfriend's parent's blessing before I asked her.  This wasn't as easy as it sounds.  It was summer break during this time, and they were watching her son during the day while she and I were at work.  My job was to pick up her son from her parents house everyday after work, but I couldn't ask them in front of the boy because he's 10-years-old and not the best secret keeper.  I would have to do it when the boy wasn't around.

My girlfriend works for the city, and office she is in works 9-hours a day and gets every other Friday off.  I waited for a Friday that she had off, so that she would have her son with her, and her parents would be free to talk.  I asked my boss to let me leave 30-minutes early that Friday so that I could rush over to her parents house and speak with them without raising any suspicion.  She wouldn't be suspicious if I came home a little later than usual, but when it comes to surprises I am as careful as possible.

I drove over to her parents house that afternoon, only to discover that they weren't at home.  I would have to figure out a different way to pull this off.

The following Saturday I had an event out of town with a local club that I am a member of (E. Clampus Vitus).  It was an all day event, but I knew that I could fit a visit with her parents into that days schedule.  I rode up to the event with a buddy of mine.  When the event was over and we were back in town, I called my girlfriend and told a little white lie.  I told her that my buddy had purchased a new awning for his RV and that I was going to help him install it.  Of course, my buddy was in on the planning, so he wished me luck and watched me drive off.

I got to her parents house around 7pm, and this time they were home.  I was much more nervous that I had imagined I would be.  I am already pretty close with her parents, so I thought I was going to be calm as a cucumber.  Wrong!

Her parents invited me in.  They were both in the kitchen making dinner when I arrived.  I basically cut to the chase and said, "I'm here about Chrissy's birthday.  You both know that it's coming up in a couple of weeks.  I plan to ask her to marry me on her birthday, but I would like to get both of your blessings first."

Her mom was pretty quick to say "Well, of course.", but her dad just leaned up against the counter stroking his goatee, and didn't say anything.  Finally, he said "Well, you know that Chrissy is her own woman...."  I cut in right there and let him know that I wasn't concerned about her saying No.  I just wanted his blessing to ask her.  They both gave me their blessing.  I told them about the rings and promised to bring them by and show the rings to them when they arrived.

Fourth Step: Her rings came in 5-days earlier than expected.  I got lucky though, and the jeweler called me on my cell phone while I was at work.  I simply drove over to the jewelers after work and picked up her rings before driving over to her parents and picking up her son.

My ring didn't come in for another week.  I was sitting at home after work on June 21, the day before Chrissy's birthday.  The jeweler called me to inform me that my ring had arrived.  They were open until 8pm, and I was going out of town for a week the following day, so I had to get the rings that night.  I was going to have to come up with another little white lie.  I quickly thought one up and waiting for her to get home.

I saw her pull up in the driveway, so I went outside to meet her.  I told her that I had to run over to my mothers house real quick because her pool pump was leaking water somewhere.  She and I both knew that my mom was currently out of town, so I told her that my aunt had dropped by the house to leave some fresh vegetables for my mom, and that my aunt had heard water splashing from the pump while she was there, but she didn't know anything about pumps so she called my mom, who in turn called me.

I rushed over to the jewelers and got my ring, and headed back home.  It took me significantly less time than I had imagined so I had to make up a story of where the pump was leaking from and how easy it was for me to repair the leak.  I knew that I would be proposing to her the following day, and that I could come clean about all of the sneaking around and lying.

HER BIRTHDAY: That morning was special for several reasons.  It was her birthday, I was going to propose to her, and her son and I were leaving for our annual father/son camping trip that my friends and I have been doing for years.

Her son and I took her out to breakfast to celebrate her birthday before we left town.  I told her that I had a birthday gift for her back at the house, and that I would give it to her before I left for the camping trip.  We had a nice breakfast and headed home.

When we first got home she was looking around the house for whatever gift I had gotten for her.  Her son was looking around even more frantically.  I got down on one knee in the dining room, and held out the open ring box to her.  Her reaction was priceless.  It went a little something like this, "Are you serious?....... <heavy breathing, hold back tears> .......Are you kidding with me?........ <half sob, heavy breathing> .......Are you joking? You're not joking...... <tears of joy, half sob>.  At this point I stood up.  My knees don't do good on hardwood floors.


As you can see in the picture above, the ring still needed to be sized.  She took it down that day after her son and I left for our camping trip.  She was told that it would take 2-weeks to get her ring back.  She hasn't been too happy about that.  As of this writing, it has only been a week.  She still has 1-more week to wait.

...and on a final note....  Her son and I had a blast on our week long camping trip.  When I got home and really took the time to look at the picture that I posted above, I had to shave off that nasty beard.

...until next time :)